|1933||born in India|
|…||MA University of London|
|1968||PhD under the supervision of J. Gonda, University of Utrecht|
|1966-1973||assistant professor of South Asian Studies, University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN in the USA|
|1973||retired from academic teaching to pursue his guru’s mission|
|1992||initiated by Swami Rama into monastic life under the name Swami Veda Bharati|
|2015||died on July 14|
Special activities and positions
- Founder of the Meditation Center (Minneapolis) in collaboration with his guru, Swami Rama
- Spiritual director of Sadhana Mandir (Swami Rama’s Ashram) and of Swami Rama Sadhaka Grama, both in Rishikesh
- Spiritual guide of the Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust in Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Founder and spiritual guide of the Association of the Himalayan Yoga Meditation Societies International (AHYMSIN)
- honored by the swamis of India who conferred him the title of Mahamandaleshwar of the Niranjani Akhada (1999)
Works published under the name Swami Veda Bharati are not included.
1965 “A game.” Hinduism 11: 21.
1966 “Prayer of a Bodhisattva.” Hinduism 15: 16.
– “An aivocation.” Hinduism 14: 29.
1968 Ritual songs and folksongs of the Hindus in Surinam, Leiden: Brill. – PhD thesis Utrecht University; also appeared as Orientalia Rheno-traiectina 9.
1970 Review of: Ved Prakash Vatuk, Thieves in My House. Mahfil 6,4: 77.
1971 Review of: A sanskrit translation of “gitanjali” reviewed. Mahfil 7,3: 245.
1972 “Hindu contradictions of the doctrine of karma.” East and West 22,1: 93.
– “Man in kavya.” Literature East and West 15,2: 183-208.
– Review of: Kiyoshi Yoroi, Ganesagita, a study, translation with notes and a condensed rendering of a commentary of Nilakantha, The Hague 1968. Archív Orientální 40: 275-277.
1973 Review of: John B. Alphonso-Karkala, An anthology of Indian literature, Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1971. JAOS 93,3: 388-389.
1975 Hinduism and conscientious objection to war.” Studies in Comparative Religion 9,3: 146.
1978 Superconscious meditation, Honesdale PA.: Himalayan Institute Press.
1979 Meditation and the art of dying, Honesdale PA.: Himalayan Institute Press.
– God, Honesdale PA.: Himalayan Institute Press.
1981 Mantra and meditation, Honesdale PA.: Himalayan Institute Press.
1985 Philosophy of Hatha Yoga, Honesdale PA.: Himalayan Institute Press.
1986 Yoga-sūtras of Patañjali: with the exposition of Vyāsa: a translation and commentary; foreword by Swami Rama of the Himalayas, 2 vols, Honesdale, Pa: Himalayan International Institute of Yoga Science and Philosophy of the U.S.A.
1990 “The Gayatri mantra.” Tattvaloka 13,3: 9-21.