Nira K. Wickramasinghe
late colonial and modern history, identity politics, everyday life, relationship state and society
|1981-1983||two-year preparatory course (Hypokhagne and Khagne), Paris|
|1984||licence in history, Universite de Paris-IV-Sorbonne (1984)|
|1985||maitrise in history, Universite de Paris-IV-Sorbonne|
|1986||diplome d’Etudes Approfondies, History, Universite de Paris IV-Sorbonne|
|1989||D.Phil in modern history, St Antony’s College, University of Oxford|
|1990-2002||senior lecturer, Department of History and International Relations, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|2003-2009||professor, Department of History and International Relations, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|2010-present||chair/professor of Modern South Asian Studies, Leiden University|
Special activities and positions
- Member of the board of directors of the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), Leiden
- Head School of Asian Studies, Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS), 2011-2013
- Directed (with Prof Michael Herzfeld) the IIAS summer programme on Asian Studies, May 2011 – Heritage conserved and contested: Asian and European perspectives
- personal page Leiden University
Publications since 2010
2010 & F. Haniffa, “Sri Lanka.” In: J. Dhamija (ed.), Berg encyclopedia of world dress and fashion, vol 4: South and Southeast Asia, Oxford-New York: Berg Publishers, pp. 95-101.
– “Colonial influence on dress in Sri Lanka.” In: Ibidem, pp. 249-254.
– “Sri Lanka: the triumph of vulgar patriotism.” Current History 109,726: 158-162.
– “Sri Lanka’s independence: shadows over a colonial graft.” In: P.R. Brass (ed.), Routledge handbook of South Asian politics: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal, Abingdon UK: Routledge, pp. 41-51.
2011 “Authenticity and hybridity: scrutinising heritage.” IIAS newsletter 57: 20-21.
– “Colonial governmentality: critical notes from a perpsective of South Asian studies.” Comparativ: Zeitschrift fur Globalgeschichte und vergleichende Gesellschaftsforshung 21,1: 32-40.
2012 “Democracy and entitlements in Sri Lanka: the 1970s crisis over university admission.” South Asian History and Culture 3,1: 81-96.
– Review of: Sumithra Janaka Biyanwila, The labour movement in the global South: trade unions in Sri Lanka, 2011. Geschichte Transnational.
2013 “Fashioning a market: the Singer sewing machine in colonial Sri Lanka.” In: T.Rodgers Daniel, Raman Bhavani and Reimitz Helmut (eds), Cultures in motion, Princeton: Princeton University Press, pp.
– “Producing the present: history as heritage in post-war patriotic Sri Lanka.” EPW 48,43: 91-100.
2014 Metallic modern: everyday machines in colonial Sri Lanka, New York-Oxford: Berghahn.
– Sri Lanka in the modern age: a history, London and New York: C. Hurst, Oxford University Press.
– “Sri Lanka in 2013: post-war oppressive stability.” Asian Survey 54,1: 199-205.
– Review of: Sujit Sivasundaram, Islanded: Britain, Sri Lanka and the bounds of an Indian Ocean colony, Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2013. South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies 37,3: 542-543.
2015 “Colonial governmentality and the political thinking through ‘1931’ in the Crown colony of Ceylon/Sri Lanka.” Socio 05: 99-114.
– “Sri Lanka in 2014: cracks in the edifice.” Asian Survey 55,1: 60-66.
2016 Foreword to: Lodewijk Wagenaar, Cinnamon and elephants: Sri Lanka and the Netherlands from 1600, Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum-Nijmegen: uitgeverij Vantilt.
2017 “Citizens, Aryans, and Indians in Colonial Lanka: Discourses on Belonging in the 1920s-1930s.” In: M. Laffan (red.), Belonging across the Bay of Bengal: religious rites, colonial migrations, national rights. London: Bloomsbury Academic, pp. 139-157.
– Review of: Sasanka Perera, Warzone tourism in Sri Lanka: Tales from darker places in paradise, New Delhi; Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publishing, 2016. ? 90(4): 851-852.
2018 & M. Carter, “Forcing the archive: involuntary migrants ‘of Ceylon’ in the Indian Ocean World of the 18–19th centuries.” South Asian History and Culture 9,2: 194-206.